Edgefield County Historical Society 

Listen to our song from 1948



Home of 10 South Carolina Governors

HomeIntroductionOverviewCulture10 GovernorsHistoric HomesHistoric SitesSongMembershipFeedback



The Edgefield County Historical Society was founded in 1939 and is one of the oldest societies in the State. Its headquarters are at Magnolia Dale in Edgefield which it has owned since 1960. It also owns the Joanne T. Rainsford Discovery Center which is operated by the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor and operates three living history projects: the Old Edgefield Pottery, the Village Blacksmith and Carpenter’s Stand.

     The Historical Society works with various partners and other historical societies throughout the region.



    During its long history it has promoted the study of the history of Edgefield County and the genealogy of its people. It has been responsible for the preservation of a number of historic sites and buildings and the marking of numerous historical sites throughout the County. It sponsors a weekly history class which provides the opportunity for interested members and guests to build upon their knowledge of history of the Region. The class has written a brief history of Edgefield for visitors. In addition, the Society hosts events in Historical settings for all to enjoy.


Living History Programs: The Carpenter's Shop


Old Edgefield Pottery